Pages

Monday, August 22, 2011

Idols

I enjoy reading books, but I don't always finish them.  A while back I had been reading 'Counterfeit Gods' by Timothy Keller and today I finished it.  I'm glad I waited until today because it's hard to acknowledge idols.  Hard because identifying idols means you must confront that these things are indeed idols and then take away their power by making them less important or obsolete.  But for myself, I've enjoyed my idols and refused to make change.  The first of the ten commandments given to God's people in the book of Exodus says, "You shall have no other Gods before Me."  That is harder than it should be.   Especially because I've tried other things - and they have never fulfilled.  I've never physically bowed to a created idol, but I'm an idolater of the heart.

Tim Keller finishes 'Counterfeit Gods' by talking through the story of Jacob.  Jacob's story can be found in Genesis 25-50.  Jacob, Keller describes, is a man desperately seeking a blessing; approval.  Jacob is the younger son by moments, grasping onto his brother's leg as he left the womb; a foresight into Jacob's future.  Jacob continues the quest to take his worth and prominence from people around him.  And they're not qualified to give him what he's seeking.  Jacob takes his older brother's birthright, a blessing from their father.  Jacob flees to his mother's family where he works tirelessly for 14 years to marry Rachel, his uncle's daughter, and does not find what he seeks in her.  

Jacob is constantly struggling and wrestling for some sort of validation in the world.  History is permanently affected by his pursuits.  And, when he feels that his deeds are going to catch up with him.  When his brother and a small army are bearing down on Jacob and his tribe - Jacob retreats to a quiet place by himself.  And in that quiet place Jacob encounters God or, more accurately, God shows himself to Jacob.  God met Jacob where Jacob is.  Desiring to be that which He deserves to be, God placed himself as the object of Jacob's focus.  And Jacob wrestled with God.  That night Jacob sought His approval in God.  When the Lord had overpowered and beaten Jacob, dislocating his hip with a touch of his finger, Jacob continued to hold on, demanding a blessing from his opponent.  What other blessing do I want?  What other blessing am I seeking?

God has reached out to me.  My God has met me where I am, broken, alone, hip-dislocated.  And He has offered me that which I most need, Himself.  I pray that I can hold on.  Bless me, Lord.

(This doesn't mean I have to enroll in a monastery and meditate in silence for the rest of my life.  The Lord asks us all to do different things.  I just need to remember 'why'.)
"Whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through Him to God the Father."
Colossians 3:17

1 comment:

  1. It took many years for me to admit that I had an idol, because it wasn't money or material posessions. It was easy to point out the idols of others because they were something obvious, something you could see or touch. My idol is my family. And it took God moving me 300 miles from them to make me see Him and not them; to make me dependent on Him and not them.

    ReplyDelete